Transition Steering Committee Minutes
July 7, 2019 -- (held 6:00 p.m. to 7:45 p.m.)
- Deborah Friedberg
- Diane Guernsey
- Lenore Lupie
- Allison Michelle McKenney
- Arlin Roy
- Ministerial search: Viola Abbitt has been offered the job as minister shared by FUSW and Poughkeepsie. She met with members of the Board, Search Committee and RE team last Tuesday to get acquainted in person and to learn more about FUSW. We will hear sometime this week whether she has accepted the offer.
- Exit interviews: The date is July 18. The participants include Craig Butler, the presidents during Peggy's time at FUSW (Greg Shunick, Sue McAnanama, Gina Piazza, Diane Guernsey, April Castoldi) and two members of Peggy's Search Committee (Art Lowenstein, Lisa deMauro).
- Sunday Services Committee (aka Worship Committee): Diane Guernsey, Richard Slade and Craig Butler are currently on this committee.
- Pulpit/guest speakers: Susan Greenberg, Sue McAnanama and Lenore Lupie are on this committee; TBD who else. This committee needs to work with the Board and the Program Groups to schedule Sunday services from September through early June. Lenore Lupie reported that the committee is in the process of writing a blurb to send to potential speakers.
- Program groups: Betsy Kates is coordinating. There will be three Program Groups. The leaders are: Arlin and Sarita Roy; Denise Woodin and Bill Reynolds; Diane Guernsey and Paul Gross. Betsy will put together the groups in August. Members will include FUSW members, friends and interested newcomers. It's likely that each group will do two to three services per year. Service dates have not yet been scheduled.
- Religious Education: Paul Gross, Nancy Eisenmann, John Scheuneman, Craig Butler, June Sidman and George McAnanama are on the team. They envision a “one-room schoolhouse” approach: teachers will offer a class centered on visual arts and crafts, music, acting, storytelling, writing, etc. Joe and Leslie Burby and others have been approached about teaching: the response has been positive.
- Lenore Lupie raised the topic of adult RE. People have expressed an interest in planning adult RE activities. There is also an interest in having an Adult OWL (Our Whole Lives) course; this would require people who have undergone formal training. The Committee will inform the board of the interest in adult RE and OWL and recommend that they discuss setting up a structure for organizing adult RE and adult OWN classes.
- Pastoral Care: Arlin Roy reported that there is a Pastoral Care Committee organized to provide pastoral care. Arlin is the contact person for people who need pastoral care. The Pastoral Care Committee is waiting on the results of the ministerial search to decide on the final form of pastoral care services.
- Public Relations: Rina Schunk and Pam Parker are working together on revising the advertisement to be place in the Rivertowns Enterprise. People insterested in participating in PR should contact Sue McAnanama, Rosanna Rossell, or Jane Lawrence.
- Restorative practices: Susan Greenberg and Arlin Roy have been in touch with Evin Carvill-Zeimer about running a restorative practices workshop at FUSW in the early fall. Diane Guernsey reported that Evin is interested in providing training; the details still need to be worked out.